Hi there! My name is Cynthia and I blog at Feeding Big and more. I believe in creating meals and living on a budget. To me budgeting doesn’t have to mean eating beans and rice for every meal. I love to scour recipe books for great recipes and then remake them to fit in my $5.00 dinner guidelines.
I love easy recipes and this easy chicken fried rice recipe tastes so much better than anything you can pick up at a restaurant. During this busy holiday season an easy dinner is something we all look for. There is too much going on and who wants to stand in the kitchen cooking all night long?
My family often has a roasted chicken for dinner on Sunday. It is one of our favorite meals and it is a comfort food for everyone in my family. When someone is feeling down or is stressed out, roast chicken and mashed potatoes are requested. Do you have a meal like that?
One of the things I love about a roast chicken on Sunday is that there will be leftover chicken that I can use to make an easy meal. I think that chicken has to be one of the most versatile proteins around. Lately, I am finding it to be one of the most inexpensive proteins around too.
With just a few ingredients and little bit of time, your family will be enjoying this one pan meal. I used white rice, but you can easily replace it with brown rice. You can also substitute the regular soy sauce with a low sodium version if you are concerned about salt intake.
Easy Chicken Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 3 cups cooked rice (I used white, but you can use brown)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 green onion, sliced diagonally
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Shred the leftover chicken. If you don’t have leftover chicken, you can cook some in the slow cooker so it remains moist.
- Preheat a large skillet or wok to medium heat. Pour the sesame oil in the pan and let it heat up. Add the onion and the peas and carrots combination and fry until tender.
- Take the vegetables out of the pan and place in a small bowl.
- Add the beaten eggs to the pan and scramble them. When the eggs are cooked, add the vegetables, rice and chicken.
- Pour the soy sauce on top. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir and fry the rice until heated through and combined.
- Place the chicken fried rice on a platter or in a bowl, top with sesame seeds and green onions.
Speaking of rice … I often cooked a double or triple batch of rice and then place individual serving sizes in freezer bags and freeze it. Doing this makes it easy for those nights when there are a few or a lot of mouths to feed. Rice will last 4 – 6 months in the freezer.
The recipe calls for salt and pepper to taste. I didn’t add any salt, I thought the soy sauce made the dish salty enough. Of course, not everyone feels this way. You may enjoy it a bit more salty.
Easy Chicken Fried Rice needs to be on your menu this week. Here is why:
- Less than 30 minutes to make
- Less than 10 ingredients (most of them condiments)
- Uses leftovers, so no waste
- Is inexpensive to make
- Tastes great
So what are you waiting for? I know your family will love this Easy Chicken Fried Rice – it really is better than take out.
Want to share this recipe with your friends? Just click any of the share buttons on the left to share with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.!
If you liked this recipe, check out these other simple recipes!
More posts you might like!
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- 22 DIY Toddler Halloween Costumes - October 13, 2017
- Creativity Unleashed #194 - October 12, 2017
- FREE Green Cleaning Concentrates Kit From Grove Collaborative - October 10, 2017
- Homemade Pumpkin Butter Recipe In The Slow Cooker - October 9, 2017
- Creativity Unleashed #193 - October 5, 2017